- On this drizzly, foggy, 100% humidity day, I celebrate coffee. Join me!
- Ah! How sweet coffee tastes! Lovelier than a thousand kisses, sweeter far than muscatel wine! ~”Coffee Cantata”, J.S. Bach
We have a slew of espresso places in town but only a few have places for people to sit and enjoy. One is a local joint a half mile from my house. It’s independent. They have great coffee and you can hang out and use their wi-fi. Another is a bookstore, with an upscale, brighter vibe. It’s nice. It’s more girly and posh. And then there’s Starbucks inside Safeway. Meh. Their coffee is consistent but the ambiance…isn’t. The restrooms are right there, too. The stench can be, uh, a deterrent.
- Coffee smells like freshly ground heaven. ~Jessi Lane Adams
- However, the Northwest is a coffee Mecca. If you live here, you drink coffee. In fact, I can only think of one person I know who *doesn’t* drink the stuff at all. And he’s weird. Probably due to caffeine deprivation.
Decaffeinated coffee is kind of like kissing your sister. ~Bob Irwin
We have at least a half dozen drive thru places in our town alone. It’s the drug of choice up here where it rains 9 months of the year. I guess meeting someone for coffee would be the equivalent of going out for drinks at a bar, only this is less hazardous for other drivers. Generally. Since I’m not a drinker, I do not – would not – hold liquor well. It wouldn’t be pretty. I am the poster child for “knows she has a limit of less than one”. However, the same applies for coffee. No double shots, please! Nobody needs to see that.
- I like my coffee strong, not lethal! ~M*A*S*H
- Incidentally, there’s nothing about coffee in the Bible. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if God created it on the first day to help Himself get through the next five. But wait! I think I found a scripture…
- For I will bring them into the land I swore to give their ancestors–a land flowing with
milkcoffee and honey… – Deut. 31:20<
So, I guess what I want to say is that coffee makes me grateful. Over the last few years, I’ve made good friends with folks while sipping the joe. Thanks for meeting with me. Thanks for giving this lonely girl transplant a spot in your life. Thanks for sharing your heart even as we share hot water poured over ground-up beans. Thanks for getting hyper with me. Some of you have drunk tea instead. Wimps! No, seriously, I don’t discriminate. You can drink hot leaf-water if you want. Whatever. Makes no never mind to me. And if I can do something that makes me feel more French (like hanging in a cafe sipping java and people-watching), bring it!
Here’s to you, coffee! You make the world seem full of possibilities. Like waking up.
- I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless. ~Napoleon Bonaparte
All quotes taken from http://www.spillingthebeanschicago.com/quotes.