You don’t need to know that I almost made this mistake today.
We’ve been having a heat wave here in western Washington. We hit 90 degrees yesterday. It’s a little early for us, not even June 21 yet. We don’t usually get those temps until August. I am loving it. Summer, as you know if you’ve been reading for awhile, is my favorite season. All the other seasons have their bonuses. But summer has the most.
Why? You may ask. Let me count the ways…
- Flowers. Blooming everywhere. Fragrant petunias, aloft in baskets, line the main streets. Their spicy scent fills the early morning air.
- Birds. Singing, squawking, chirping. They soar and swoop and express joy in a tangible way.
- Berries. Can’t wait. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries. Sure, I can get them at the store most times of the year. But local tastes the best.
- It’s nice.every.day. I could run each morning, the fresh morning air all the incentive I need to step outside. Heck, it’s light early enough, I can run before the sun even rises, with only the pale moon for company.
- Dressing is easy. Shorts, tank top, sandals, done.
- We get to do this at least once a year, too. My sister-and-law and I take our kids up to Wild Waves for a day of wet fun in the sun. This year, we actually wanted to play in the water. We needed to cool off.
Lastly, summer feels like a paycheck. Working through all those months of cold and rain results in a beautiful harvest of flowers, fruit and sunshine. It’s all worth it.
What about you? What’s your favorite season, and why? And happy Monday!